When you review as many social impact companies as I do every week, you start to notice trends: the vast majority of companies are making an impact through their supply chains or through financial donations, not necessarily through the product or service they sell.
This is telling! It means every business has the potential to drive social impact if the team is conscientious about it.
That's part of why we're featuring New Belgium Brewing this week – we don't usually think of raising a glass to social impact, but a surprising number of breweries and wineries are Certified B Corps. It turns out that New Belgium Brewing pioneered carbon-neutral beer, for example, and created the first wind-powered brewery in the United States. I'm also a fan of their donation model, where a portion of every barrel of beer sold is donated to charity; giving models like these align all stakeholders, because growing the business means growing impact and vice versa.
Whether you're ready to become a Beer Ranger or not, let's dive into this week's job opportunities:
New Belgium Brewing has been around for three decades producing some of the most recognizable craft beers in the country. Once you've been at the company for five years, they send you to Belgium on an all-expenses paid trip. That's amazing on its own, but I like that it shows how committed they are to keeping employees around for a long time.
- Beer Ranger – St. Petersburg, FL, San Antonio, TX, Fort Collins, CO or Northern California
- Brand Ambassador – Raleigh, NC, Vail, CO or Ann Arbor, MI
- IT Support Analyst – Kalamazoo, MI or Novato, CA
- Controls Engineer – Galesburg, MI
- QA Technician – Asheville, NC
SecondMuse helps build innovation economies that benefit people and the planet by partnering with other organizations to support entrepreneurship. Some of their initiatives include climate tech, mental health, and improving diversity in tech spaces.
- Program Manager, EdTech – Denver, CO, Oakland, CA or Chicago, IL
- Senior Program Associate, Climate – Washington, DC
- Research Manager – Portland, OR, Los Angeles, CA or Oakland, CA
- Senior Grant Writer – Washington, DC, Chicago, IL, Portland, OR, San Francisco, CA or New York, NY
- Senior Program Associate, Accelerator – Portland, OR or Oakland, CA
EverCheck helps healthcare organizations ensure the safety of their patients by verifying the licenses and credentials of their caregivers. They are focused on reducing their environmental impact and recently offset their carbon footprint with renewable energy sources.
- Digital Client Success Manager – Remote
- Customer Support Specialist – Remote
- Implementation Specialist (Immuware) – Remote
- Site Reliability Engineer – Remote
- Account Executive (GovTech) – Remote
- Director of Business Development (GovTech) – Remote
- Solutions Consultant – Remote
Edge Impulse is a 1% for the Planet member that makes machine learning models that other companies can embed in their products to accelerate development. If you've been reading about artificial intelligence and wondering how it can be applied to social impact, you should check this company out. They have a number of health and safety applications described on their website.
- Customer Solutions Engineer - North America – Remote
4ocean is on a mission to clean up the oceans one bracelet at a time. They sell products made from recycled plastic and use the proceeds to remove ocean waste. I appreciate that they worked with the Better Business Bureau to audit their cleanup efforts and bring more accountability to their business; it's one thing to say you're making an impact and another to seek third-party approval.
- Partnership Marketing Manager – Boca Raton, FL
- Sales Manager of Partnerships – Boca Raton, FL
SeaVees makes footwear – I've purchased a few pairs of shoes myself. They're particularly conscientious about their supply chain and use recycled materials in every shoe. They crossed my radar as a 1% for the Planet member, though they also partner with charities focused on improving quality of life for women, people of color, and the LGBTQ+ community.
- Assistant Store Manager – Mill Valley, CA
- Retail Sales Associate – Newport Beach, CA or Santa Barbara, CA
- Retail Key Holder – Mill Valley, CA
- Social Media Intern – Santa Barbara, CA
Patagonia is perhaps the most recognizable social impact company around. They are known not only for their apparel and adventuring gear but for their ambitious efforts to protect the planet. Founder Yvon Chouinard made headlines recently for moving all of the voting stock to a trust, effectively ensuring that Patagonia's mission is preserved for generations.
- Sales Director, Patagonia Provisions – Sausalito, CA
- Global Product Compliance Lead – Ventura, CA
- Global Product Safety Process Lead – Ventura, CA
- Head of Global Integrated Business Planning – Ventura, CA
- Customer Experience Guide – Chicago, IL
- Safety & Security Specialist – Reno, NV
Watershed is a climate tech company that helps businesses reduce their carbon emissions by making them visible. If you're familiar with the B Impact Assessment, which is what companies complete to become a Certified B Corp, you'll know that the environmental impact section is one of the most difficult to fill out. Watershed is at the forefront of climate accounting and is growing quickly – check out even more opportunities on their website.
- Data Scientist – Remote
- Growth Marketing Manager – Remote
- Product Marketing Manager – Remote
- Deal Desk Manager – Remote
- Sales Enablement Manager – Remote
- Sales Strategy – Remote
- Strategic Account Executive – Remote
- Product Designer – San Francisco, CA
- Frontend Engineer – San Francisco, CA or New York, NY
- Product Engineer – San Francisco, CA or New York, NY
- FP&A – San Francisco, CA
DG+Design is a full service marketing agency that knows the clean energy economy inside and out. They're hiring an analyst, and the role comes with a lot of flexibility: it's a part time job, and you can work it remotely.
- Analyst, Market Research and Policy – Remote, Part Time
12 Tides makes kelp snacks. I've come across kelp with regards to climate change before – kelp forests help sequester carbon for example. The 12 Tides team uses proceeds to restore kelp forests and their associated habitats. I've never seen a job title quite like Kelp Slinger, but I think I love it.
- Kelp Slinger (Brand Ambassador) – Remote, Part Time
I think after writing this week's newsletter, I should relax with a B Corp beer for the 4th of July. Want to make your gathering more sustainable? Check out these tips.
What are your favorite food and beverage companies making a difference? Hit that reply button and send me an email.