It's not uncommon to look up a company's impact page and find that they're partnering with other organizations to make a difference. After all, partnership brings all kinds of benefits: an expanded set of resources, new perspectives, and different experiences can amplify each organization's efforts.
We feature a lot of companies whose core product or service doesn't create social impact on its own. Instead, the employees have a culture that values things like charitable donations and community service.
In that way, any company can make a difference if it's willing to put in the effort. Reaching out to local nonprofits and volunteer organizations is a great way for even the most mundane of businesses to add a spark of social impact to daily work. Employees get the opportunity to make a difference beyond the bottom line, and nonprofits get the resources they need to advance their missions.
Our featured company this week is NationSwell, which is a leading connector in the social impact space. Through their membership and council initiatives, they help leaders find the resources and insights they need to grow their impact. They're currently hiring for a number of roles to serve their members working on corporate social responsibility, and if you have a climate or sustainability background, they could use someone on a temporary basis to develop educational content.
Here are the week's job opportunities from NationSwell and other social enterprises:
NationSwell is a platform that brings together leaders in social impact and supports them with industry insights, educational programming, and networking opportunities. Some of their perks include unlimited time off, paid volunteer time, and a remote work environment.
- Senior Associate, Institutional Membership – Remote
- CSR Practice Lead – Remote
- Director, Institutional Memberships – Remote
- Climate & Sustainability Program Designer (Short Term) – Remote
OluKai makes island-inspired footwear and donates a portion of proceeds to the Ama OluKai Foundation. The foundation helps preserve Hawaiian culture through grants to local nonprofits, many of whom focus on conserving the land and water around Hawaii.
- Staff Accountant – Irvine, CA
- Executive Assistant to CEO & CFO – Irvine, CA
- Customer Experience Team Sr. Manager – Irvine, CA
- Creative Copywriter – Irvine, CA
- Graphic Designer – Irvine, CA
- Senior Manager Direct To Consumer Merchant – Irvine, CA
- Controller – Irvine, CA
- Human Resource Manager for Retail Stores – Irvine, CA
- Wholesale Marketing Brand Manager – Irvine, CA
- Sales Operations Manager – Irvine, CA
- Digital Product Manager – Irvine, CA
- Director of Digital Product – Irvine, CA
RBW is a New York-based company that produces lighting products with modern designs. They focus their social impact efforts on sustainability, both in their own operations and in the buildings in which their products are installed. They're innovating in their supply chain in a way I haven't come across before: reducing the distance between them and their suppliers to cut down on fuel consumption.
- Account Executive – New York, NY
- Regional Sales Manager – Seattle, WA, Los Angeles, CA or San Francisco, CA
- VP of Sales – Remote
ButcherBox delivers meat and seafood direct to consumers. I had heard of them before, but I had no idea they were a Certified B Corp as well. They seem keenly focused on the human impact of their supply chain – working conditions for meatpackers are notorious, but ButcherBox upholds higher standards for the suppliers with whom they work.
- Dry Ice Sales Leader – Remote
- Senior Software Engineer, Web – Boston, MA
- Senior Manager, Creative Operations – Boston, MA
Intellitonic is a digital marketing agency focused on search engine optimization, digital advertising, and accessibility. We've discussed accessibility (a11y) on the web in the newsletter before, but as a refresher, it means designing websites in a way that makes sure anyone can use them. They specifically focus on improving the online presence of social enterprises and nonprofits, so if you'd enjoy building relationships with a lot of people doing good in the world, check out their Account Manager role.
- Account Manager – Bellingham, WA or Los Angeles, CA
AdVic is a Salesforce consulting partner that specializes in helping businesses optimize their sales, marketing, and customer service operations. They have the best paid volunteering benefit I've come across, where each employee gets 40 hours of paid time off to give back to the community. If you enjoy customer-driven roles in tech, give them a look.
- Project Manager – Alpharetta, GA
- Salesforce Consultant – Alpharetta, GA
- Salesforce Developer – Alpharetta, GA
- Solutions Architect – Alpharetta, GA
- Account Executive – Alpharetta, GA
Wefunder is an equity crowdfunding platform that helps companies raise funding from a group of people instead of through venture capital, similar to what you might see through Kickstarter. The diversity of the companies on the platform far outstrips venture capital – 7x as many female founders and 4x as many black founders compared to VC. They're looking for someone to help create a community for startups in San Francisco, and having worked out of a startup hub before, I have to say it's a great atmosphere working alongside other people trying to build something.
- Head of Community – San Francisco, CA
- Internship (Jul to Dec '23) – San Francisco, CA
Cloud City is a software development company and Certified B Corp that specializes in building web and mobile applications. Mentoring is a key part of their giveback program – they cite nearly a dozen organizations on their website they've worked with, including Black Girls Code.
- Senior Software Engineering Consultant – Remote
Skyline Hawaii is an "eco-adventure" company that offers zipline and vehicle tours in Hawaii. Conservation is a big deal for them – they've donated nearly $2 million to environmental and community nonprofits in roughly 20 years' time. They are also working on reducing their carbon footprint and anticipate purchasing electric vehicles for tours in the future. This company is a bit off the beaten path, but if you love being in the outdoors and teaching others to love it, too, this could be worth the move!
- Conservation Guide – Kahului, HI
- Vehicle Tour Guide – Kahului, HI
Ageto is a clean energy company that is renowned for off-the-grid management of solar installations. They also help customers design the right microgrid for their needs. We have featured a number of clean and renewable energy companies in the past, and what sets these roles apart is their travel requirement. You would be able to travel around the country and even the world in some cases.
- Technical Sales Engineer – Fort Collins, CO
- Sales Director – Fort Collins, CO
- Controls Engineer – Fort Collins, CO
This week was all about connecting others in the social impact space – have you found your people yet? Check out places like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter – each has a different vibe, but I've found it surprisingly easy to find like-minded people. They might even be able to refer you to your next job opportunity!