As cities continue to grow, it's becoming increasingly important to find ways to produce food locally and sustainably. Urban farming has emerged as a solution to this problem, with greenhouses popping up in areas you wouldn't expect.
Our featured company this week, Gotham Greens, has been at the forefront of this shift in agriculture. They built the first commercial scale rooftop greenhouse in the U.S. and have since expanded to states around the country.
Urban farming isn't just about making it easier to get access to fresh, local produce in your city. It's also better for the planet: urban farming uses less water and land than conventional farms, and they can grow produce year-round.
Whether you're interested in farming, environmental sustainability, or community development, there are plenty of exciting opportunities to get involved in urban farming and make a positive impact.
Don't have a green thumb? Check out the rest of this week's job opportunities:
Gotham Greens is an urban farming company delivering leafy greens and herbs to local grocery stores around the country. They are hiring for a variety of roles – check out the ones below as well as the myriad production jobs on their website.
- HR Manager, Total Rewards – New York, NY
- Demand Planner – New York, NY
- Packaging Engineer – New York, NY
- Shopper Marketing Manager – New York, NY
- Human Resources Associate – Chicago, IL or Stevensburg, VA
- Human Resources Manager – Monroe, GA
- Human Resources Business Partner – Windsor, CO
Powur is a cloud platform that helps connect homeowners and solar panel installers to accelerate the adoption of sustainable energy. They are one of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. and hiring for a lot of remote roles if flexibility is as important to you as impact.
- Project Manager – Remote
- Senior Customer Service Specialist – Remote
- Executive Escalation Specialist – Remote
- Senior Business Development Analyst – Remote
- Procurement Specialist – Remote
- Social Content Strategist – Remote
- Sales Support Supervisor – Remote
- Senior Solar Finance Specialist – Remote
- Assistant Controller – Remote
- Distribution Manager – Remote
- Seller Integrity Associate – Remote
If you drink coffee, you are probably familiar with Torani syrups. But did you know that Torani is a Certified B Corp? Investing in their employees was a key topic in last year's impact report: they introduced a new framework to develop skills and increase compensation for their frontline team members.
- Automation and Controls Engineer – San Leandro, CA
- Senior Program Manager, IT – San Leandro, CA
- External Operations Logistics Manager – San Leandro, CA
- Associate Brand Manager – San Leandro, CA
- Digital Marketing Coordinator – San Leandro, CA
- Demand Planner – San Leandro, CA
- Project Manager – San Leandro, CA
- R&D/Product Innovation Intern – San Leandro, CA
Branching Minds is on a mission to create a path to academic and personal success for every learner. They provide assessments and intervention tools to help teachers ensure every student reaches their potential.
- Controller – Remote
- Sales Development Manager – Remote
Plant People is a herbal supplements company and Certified B Corp that considers the impact of its supply chain on the environment. They're particularly invested in regenerative agriculture, which means they work to ensure the land they use can support future generations.
- Director of Sales – Austin, TX
- Digital Product Manager – Austin, TX
- Head of Marketing – Austin, TX
R+M is a full-service brand experience agency working with social impact companies on all of their branding needs. Their benefits are particularly solid, and if you prefer working for a smaller company with tighter relationships, you should check them out.
- Brand Strategist – Remote
- Brand Manager – Remote
Sunrise Treatment Center is tackling one of the toughest challenges around: opioid addiction. Most of the jobs require additional credentials, but if you have the background and want to help people overcome substance abuse, this is a great place to do so.
- Addiction Counselor – Columbus, OH
- Clinical Supervisor – Columbus, OH
- Recovery Support Specialist – Portsmouth, OH
- Addiction Counselor – West Union, OH
- Recovery Support Specialist – West Union, OH
P.L.A.Y. makes dog beds and toys out of recycled plastic. Their impact goes beyond plastic, however: they also donate one bed to local shelters for every one that is purchased. If you wish your job included more dogs on a daily basis, this could be the job for you!
- Inside Sales Coordinator – San Francisco, CA
- Public Relations Intern – San Francisco, CA or Roseville, CA
Purely Elizabeth makes superfoods like cereal and granola and focuses on regenerative agriculture in their supply chain, not unlike Plant People above. We like how they feature their partners on their website so you can see how their approach to sustainability finds its way into their products.
- Senior Innovation Brand Manager – Remote
- Ecommerce Analyst – Remote
KSV is a marketing and advertising agency that specializes in sustainable companies. If you are excited about marketing specifically in the environmental impact space, you can't find a more specialized agency to work for.
- Google Channel Specialist – Remote
- Account Director – Remote
- Account Manager – Remote
- Designer – Remote
- Copywriter – Remote
Your local produce could be coming from a farm that's closer than you realize.
Gotham Greens isn't the only one, either. If you are interested in urban farming, consider taking it up yourself or searching online for other innovators in the space. With even more urbanization on the horizon, the future of food could be in your backyard.