This week, a nonprofit invests its way to a poverty breakthrough, banking gets personal with a focus on customer values, and a consulting firm helps utilities supercharge their energy efficiency to combat climate change.
There's a thing about changing the world that makes it even more difficult: it takes a long time. Knowing when and where to make that investment is hard enough, much less protecting it so it has time to flourish. That's why the story of Acumen caught my eye this week: they invest what they call "patient capital" in early-stage companies addressing services for people living in poverty. Patient capital has a long time horizon, and although Acumen expects a return on these investments, they're not specifically targeting high financial returns.
I've come across a number of venture capital firms when I search for social impact jobs, and impact investors are few and far between. They are making a difference in an industry that largely focuses on maximizing shareholder returns. So this week, we're kicking off our weekly jobs roundup with opportunities at Acumen – you can find even more job opportunities at their portfolio companies here.
Without further ado, here are this week's social impact job opportunities:
Acumen invests in products and services that enable low-income individuals and families to transform their lives, taking a unique investment approach that bridges traditional venture capital with philanthropy. Their work helps address the profound impact of poverty on two-thirds of the world's population.
- Creative Producer – New York, NY
- Development & Partnerships Associate – New York, NY
- Executive Assistant to the CEO & President – New York, NY
- Accounting Manager – New York, NY
- Summer Venture Capital Associate, Acumen America – San Francisco, CA
TiER1 Performance is improving organizations through the performance of people to build a better world. They support other businesses with communication, project management, and change management services. This is a great opportunity if you like to work on a variety of projects, and they're employee-owned as well – that might be why they're one of the Best for the World in the Workers category among Certified B Corps.
- Account Manager – Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; or Pittsburgh, PA
- Change Management Strategist – Atlanta, GA; Boston, MA; Indianapolis, IN; or Pittsburgh, PA
- Enterprise Platforms Technical Consultant – Atlanta, GA; Cincinnati, OH; Covington, KY; Indianapolis, IN; or Pittsburgh, PA
- System Administrator Specialist – Remote
The FruitGuys has been delivering fresh fruit to businesses and homes for over 20 years. What really makes them stand out is their commitment to community: they donate a large portion of profits to fight hunger and support sustainable agriculture, and they even offer a program where you can donate fruit boxes through their network of community partners.
- Sr. Production Coordinator – La Mirada, CA
GroundFloor Media is a marketing and communications agency that has been named one of the "Best Places to Work" in America by OUTSIDE magazine 10 times. Their charitable efforts focus on at-risk youth in their local community, and employees are encouraged to donate their time as part of their Get Grounded Volunteer Program.
- Project Manager: Director or Senior Director – Denver, CO
Evergreen Consulting Group builds energy-efficiency programs for utility and energy companies nationwide, helping them save over 2 billion kilowatt hours of energy in just the past decade. Each year, they give back to the local community with a volunteer energy-efficiency retrofit project.
- Administrative Coordinator – UT, ID, OR, or WA
- Field Specialist - Commercial – Yakima or Tri-Cities, WA
- Digital Media Planner – UT, ID, OR, WY, or WA
- Copywriter – UT, ID, OR, WY, or WA
- Energy Specialist – WI
First Pacific Financial is a Certified B Corp bank with offices in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. They are hiring a Financial Advisor in Seattle who can help clients align their banking needs to their personal values. We haven't seen a finance role quite so focused on values-driven work for both the business and its customers – definitely give this one a look!
- Financial Advisor – Seattle, WA
You probably know Danone North America from their brands at your local grocery store like Horizon Organic, Dannon, and International Delight. Did you know they're also a Certified B Corp? If you like working at a larger company with opportunities for career advancement and the ability to move between jobs, you'll find few places as rewarding as Danone for social impact.
Here is a sample of the kinds of job openings you'll find on their website:
- Customer Service Representative – Rockville, MD
- Human Resources Generalist – Eugene, OR
- Operations Technology Engineer – Bridgeton, NJ
- Director of Planning – Rockville, MD
- Quality Engineer – Minster, OH
- Counsel, Marketing & Sales – Broomfield, CO, White Plains, NY, or Rockville, MD
- Sr. Manager Analytics & Insights - Plant-Based Foods & Beverages – Broomfield, CO
- Sr. Manager, Category Revenue Growth Management – Remote
- Technical Program Manager - Packaging – Broomfield, CO
- Project Manager – Broomfield, CO
Brightworks Sustainability helps their clients establish and implement operational sustainability programs that reduce their environmental footprints, advance their sustainability journeys, and increase their operational performance. They've worked with some major companies in the past, from Apple and Salesforce to Nike and Bank of America. With clients at that scale, you can make a big difference in sustainability here.
- Proposal Coordinator – Portland, OR
- Senior Consultant, Sustainable Organizations – New York, NY
Brattleboro Savings & Loan is another Certified B Corp bank, this time in Vermont. BS&L is also mutually-owned, which means the members of the bank have ownership of it. They are hiring for a Branch Manager right next to a ski resort – after a day of community banking, you can hit the slopes whenever you want!
P.S. I love Vermont, and they have some great social impact businesses in the state. If you prefer a smaller community feel, check out this part of the country during your job search!
- Teller – Brattleboro, VT
- Branch Manager – Bondville, VT
Steward provides flexible loans to human-scale farms, ranches, fisheries, and food producers looking to propel their operations forward. Steward conducts due diligence on a loan application and creates a campaign, then interested lenders can support the campaigns of their choice with as little as $100. It's like a crowdfunding campaign with a focus on regenerative agriculture – pretty cool!
- Senior Accountant – Remote
I don't know about you, but I get excited every time I discover a new company with a social impact focus. It's like a shot of optimism in my coffee each week. Who knew there were so many people making a difference on a daily basis?