Everyone loves a good BOGO – that's "buy one, give one" in social impact speak. A number of companies have popularized the model over the years, where every consumer's purchase is matched with an identical item that is donated to those in need.
One of the criticisms of BOGO is that what is given is not always needed. Not so in the case of our featured company this week, Warby Parker. Millions of people around the world need glasses but can't get them – if you need corrected vision, you know how essential it is for education, work, and simply enjoying the world around us.
Part of the reason we're featuring Warby Parker this week is because of their giving model – Warby Parker still operates the Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program, but they recently set up a foundation to further their mission.
The most telling benefit of doing so is that they get to tackle vision care from multiple angles, not just the donation of glasses. This includes advocacy, grants, and partnering with other organizations to ensure everyone can see the world clearly. We know a number of companies that have set up foundations, and it remains one of our favorite giving models because of its flexibility.
Grab your specs if you have them, and let's jump into this week's job opportunities:
Warby Parker is no stranger to social impact, given how recognizable their Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program has been. They are hiring for a variety of corporate roles in their New York City office, but you can also find roles in their new Nashville location or at one of their retail stores nationwide.
- Product Manager, Ecommerce – New York, NY
- Principal Counsel - Corporate & Securities – New York, NY
- Principal Counsel - Labor & Employment – New York, NY
- Associate Manager, Talent Development – Nashville, TN
- Manager, Compensation – New York, NY
- Associate Manager, Product Development – New York, NY
- Retail Operations Specialist – New York, NY
- Project Manager, Construction – Remote
- Store Design Specialist – New York, NY
- Manager, Corporate Manufacturing – New York, NY
- Engineering Manager – New York, NY
Echo&Co uses human-centered design to promote social and environmental wellbeing for people and communities around the world. If you're not familiar with human-centered design, it's an approach to product development that is deeply engaged with how people interact with the product. In the case of Echo&Co, they use human-centered design to help organizations like the ASPCA and United Way harness technology to drive social change.
- Content Strategist & Information Architect – Remote
- Digital Project Manager – Remote
- Director, Content Strategy & Information Architecture – Remote
Geek Girl Tech is a woman-owned company that helps other social impact companies with their IT and cybersecurity needs. Many of their job opportunities are part time or on a project basis to start with – great if you're looking to dip your toe into social impact before you take the proverbial plunge.
- Security Program Development – Remote
- Technical Project Management – Remote
- Cyber Risk and Compliance – Remote
- Vendor Assessment/Selection – Remote
- Security Assessments – Remote
- Identity & Access Management – Remote
- Web Security – Remote
- Security Engineering – Remote
- Email Security – Remote
- Google Workspace/GCP Security – Remote
- Endpoint Security / Tier II Desktop Support – Remote
- SentinelOne Engineer – Remote
Thesis is a full-service digital agency and Certified B Corp with a bunch of ERGs – "employee resource groups" – that celebrate diversity and connection at work. This is the first digital agency we've come across with such a structured commitment to employee support, so if you are a seasoned agency pro, check out these opportunities.
- Group Director – Portland, OR
- Writing Director – Portland, OR
Prose is a personalized haircare brand that offers custom-made hair products tailored to individual needs and preferences. They invest heavily in both social and environmental areas by donating to major charities and offsetting their carbon impact to reach carbon neutral operations.
- Product Manager - Acquisition – Brooklyn, NY
- Order Fulfillment Specialist – Brooklyn, NY
- Quality Control Tech – Brooklyn, NY
- Quality Engineer Manager – Brooklyn, NY
RALLY is a strategic communications and public affairs agency that works with mission-driven organizations to create positive social change. We include a lot of agencies in our newsletter, and what sets RALLY apart is their focus on advocacy – they are working in a number of areas like diversity, equity, and inclusion, the labor movement, and environmental protection.
- Staff Accountant – Austin, TX
Osano is a privacy technology company and Certified B Corp that helps organizations navigate the complex landscape of data privacy and compliance. Their reach is enormous – over 750,000 companies use their platform, and you'd be helping protect user data at each of them. All of their roles are remote, so if you're looking for a flexible tech position, take a look!
- Demand Generation Strategist – Remote
- Engineering Manager – Remote
- Sr. Account Executive (Mid-Market) – Remote
- Sr. Software Engineer in Test – Remote
Arbonne is a health and wellness company that offers a range of botanically based products focused on promoting a healthy lifestyle. We're impressed with their ambitious sustainability commitments for the next seven years, but what really stuck out was their recycling program – most of their packaging can be recycled with local services, but customers can also mail hard-to-recycle items back to Arbonne.
- Presentation Specialist – Irvine, CA
- Senior Digital Product Manager – Irvine, CA
- Senior Accountant – Irvine, CA
- Manager Email Marketing Automation – Irvine, CA
- Product Marketing Manager – Irvine, CA
MagicLinks provides tools and resources for creators to monetize their content through affiliate links, allowing them to earn commissions on product recommendations and purchases made by their audience. They're also a Certified B Corp – recently, their community engagement efforts have focused on racial justice, COVID-19 relief, and youth homelessness.
- DevOps Engineer – Remote
- Frontend Engineer – Remote
McPherson Strategies works with companies, nonprofits, and foundations to develop strategies that align business goals with social and environmental impact – sometimes you'll hear people refer to this as corporate social responsibility, or CSR. They tout themselves as "the most supportive, least dramatic place I've ever worked" so if you're not a fan of drama (only in theaters!) and work with some of the biggest companies on the planet, check out their opportunities. The Social Impact Fellow role would make a great internship or entry level career while going to school.
- Account Director – Remote
- Social Impact Fellow (Part Time)
Giving models abound for social impact companies, and we've featured just a few this week. What are your favorite models and why? I'd love to hear your thoughts – just reply to the newsletter.