Some of the most challenging sustainability issues impact our cities. From the development of net-zero buildings to modernizing transit, we need to develop new, cleaner buildings as well as adapt existing infrastructure to reduce our impact on the planet.
Our featured company this week is one of the most respected companies in the world for tackling these types of issues. You may recognize some of their work around the world: they were part of the development of the Beijing National Stadium, the Forest Tower at Camp Adventure, and the Sagrada Familia to name a few.
Sometimes it can be difficult to see your impact, but one of the benefits of working on the built world is you get to point at something tangible and say, "I did that!" It's not the only way to make a difference, however – check out the rest of this week's social impact job opportunities:
Arup is a global engineering and design consulting firm known for its innovative and sustainable solutions to complex engineering and design challenges. Part of why we're featuring Arup in this week's newsletter is the large number of internships and entry-level job opportunities they're offering – this is a great place to start a career and see the impact of your work on the world.
- Senior Climate & Sustainability Project Manager – Los Angeles, CA
- Graduate Information Technology & Communications Consultant – Seattle, WA
- Senior Sustainability Consultant – Washington, DC
- Marketing Proposal Coordinator – Houston, TX
- Benefits Coordinator – Edison, NJ
- Finance Intern – New York, NY
- Graduate Sustainability Consultant – Los Angeles, CA
- Facilities Manager – New York, NY
- Knowledge Manager – New York, NY
- Graduate Marketing Coordinator – Seattle, WA
- Project Administration Intern – New York, NY
- Graduate Audio-Visual Consultant – San Francisco, CA
- Graphic Design Intern – Los Angeles, CA
Aeroseal helps patch holes and cracks in air ducts to reduce energy use in residential and commercial applications. If the idea of HVAC doesn't excite you, keep in mind that energy use in buildings drives significant electricity demand – electricity that is often produced through non-renewable means and contributes to climate change. This is a great way to tackle one of the most significant sources of greenhouse gases.
- Accounting Specialist III – Miamisburg, OH
- FP&A Analyst – Miamisburg, OH
- Graphic Design Intern – Miamisburg, OH
- Marketing Automation Specialist – Miamisburg, OH
- Electro-Mechanical Assembler II – Miamisburg, OH
- Product Manager – Miamisburg, OH
- Senior Software Engineer – Miamisburg, OH
- Technical Services Manager – Miamisburg, OH
World Central Kitchen provides meals to people in need during times of crisis. They are currently providing meals in Ukraine, Turkey, and Syria to help those who have been impacted by war and earthquakes; stateside, they have responded to areas hit by hurricanes, blizzards, and tornadoes.
- Field Specialist, Financial Operations, Western North America Region – Remote
- Coordinator, Donor Relations – Washington, DC
- Director of Global Procurement and Logistics – Washington, DC
- IT Systems and Network Administrator – Washington, DC
The Nature Conservancy is on a mission to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. They restore forests, protect oceans and rivers, and conserve important habitats for endangered species in 76 countries and territories – climate change and the loss of biodiversity are key focus areas for their efforts.
- Buyer – Remote
- Production Manager – Remote
- Senior ELT/Data Warehouse Engineer – Remote
- Senior Paralegal – Remote
- Sr. Application Development and Support Engineer – Remote
- Managing Director, Public Funding – Remote
- Community Engagement Specialist – Kankakee Sands, IL
- Learning Technology Manager – Remote
AAPI Civic Engagement Fund is making sure that Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) voices are heard and represented in our government. They give grants, help mobilize voters, and conduct research on the AAPI electorate. This is a great opportunity if you are interested in politics and getting out the vote.
- Communications Manager – Remote
- Program Coordinator – Remote
SkyHive is a Certified B Corp that uses artificial intelligence to help organizations reskill their workforces. Aside from helping employees adapt to a changing world, they work with their community partners t0 help underserved populations overcome traditional barriers to employment.
- Senior Product Designer – Palo Alto, CA
- SaaS Project Manager – Palo Alto, CA
- Account Manager – Palo Alto, CA
- Director, SAP Alliance – Palo Alto, CA or New York, NY
Astraea is a SaaS company focused on artificial intelligence applied to satellite imagery. There are a number of use cases for this kind of data, but the two that stood out to us were conservation and renewable energy – useful for keeping carbon credit brokers accountable, for example.
- Sales Director, Geospatial – Remote
The National Park Foundation is the official nonprofit partner of the National Park Service – preserving America's national parks for generations to come. We're particularly fond of their commitment to make the national parks accessible to everyone, ensuring that people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities can experience the parks firsthand. I've been to a lot of national parks myself, and it's hard to pick a favorite.
- Digital Engagement Specialist – Washington, DC
- Program Manager, History & Culture – Washington, DC
- Campaign Director – Washington, DC
- Manager, Donor Events – Washington, DC
- Director, Park Infrastructure & Visitor Experience – Washington, DC
- Data Analyst – Washington, DC or Remote
- Coordinator, Resource Management – Washington, DC
Upswing partners with colleges and universities to improve nontraditional student outcomes. It's completely free for students but gives them access to the trappings of a modern student services platform including tutoring, assignment review, and mental health care.
- New Business Sales Representative – Remote
I don't know about you, but sometimes I read the newsletter and feel like a kid in a candy shop – there are so many opportunities to make a difference if you do your research. No matter the impact you'd like to have, you're bound to find other people who share your mission.